In today’s world, apart from watching cricket all day, we play fantasy cricket on various fantasy websites to double the fun. Most of us select the players involved randomly but have you ever wondered what could be done before selecting the players for better results? If you haven’t, don’t worry as we will take you through few steps by which you can win big in fantasy games.
1. First of all you should prefer those fantasy websites who give you the opportunity of playing the game on a daily basis rather than a combined team for the tournament. In other words, some websites (including Cricpick), gives you the chance of picking the players for a single day while others allow for a definite stage of the tournament like league matches or knockout matches. The drawback of this system is that you have to select your team for say 10 games combined and you don’t even know about the future of the teams for which the players play in the competition. Also not your eleven players take part in a match and then it becomes a little tricky while if you prefer playing on a daily basis, you can select your eleven players daily which doesn’t make things complicated.
2. Pitch conditions :-
Pick your players whom you think will excel on a particular surface , like for a slow , dry surface, you can pick more spinners and for a bouncy or green surface , you can pick more fast bowlers in your team. Similarly for a good, flat track , you can prefer picking more batsmen.
3. Check the recent form :-
The best way of doing it is to go and check the stats of players from the last series he has played and find out the things like the highest run scorer or the highest wicket takers or the player with most catches and slot your players according to their stats in different categories. For a rookie, you can check his first class performances. There are various cricket websites which will help you for this matter.
4. Cover the pricing of the player :-
If a player is in top 5 or top 10 of most if categories and he is an all rounder then he should be preferred than number 1 batsman in the same price because the all rounder can give you points in multiple areas in the same price but the batsman will only give you point by his batting and most likely he won’t get to bowl.
5. Prefer those fantasy sites which give you the freedom of selecting players even after the toss. Yes you read it right. There are some websites which give you the option of forming your team even after toss which helps you in knowing the playing eleven of both sides and henceforth you can create a good team and none of your players will miss out making full use of the money you invest (if you do) . You don’t have to guess the playing eleven in this case . Yes search these sites
6. You should watch the pre match show and read as many match previews present on internet and in newspapers as possible to gain the full knowledge about the pitch , weather conditions , players available for selection etc as it will make your mind clear about the team you’re going to pick
7. Keep a constant track of consistent performers over pitch conditions and the past matches. Picking consistent guys is better
than risking all on a new entry – at least there’s some assurance behind having a consistent performer who may not have hit his average last match, but guess what, its his average so he will hit above it or around it next match for sure.
8. Pick bowlers that can bowl death overs :-
Many times we have seen that wickets fall in a cluster in death overs as batsmen try to score as many runs as they can without caring for wickets much giving good death bowlers a lot of opportunity. However , it could be a double edged sword as well as sometimes the bowler might be taken into cleaners damaging his economy rate and your points but more often than not a good bowler will excel under the circumstances
9. Few sites give you the chance of slotting any player in any category, like a wicketkeeper can be slotted in a batsman category and bowlers can be slotted in all rounder category. This helps when you pick a bowler into all rounder category and when the bowler scores runs coming up the order , you get the liberty of choosing another extra bowler
10. one sound strategy is to not pick the openers, since they get out early usually on a green pitch against new ball and pick the middle order batsman (like Eoin Morgan or Suresh Raina) who almost always arrive to steady the innings. The openers on many conditions are a guess on whether they’ll hit it big but usually get out early (like Hafeez opening), so you’re better off picking those that come down the order to give yourself a better chance at getting those batting points as the middle order bats longer and steadies the innings (general examples: George Bailey, Ian Bell).
11. Prefer mind over heart :-
Some people choose the team by their heart, by saying this I meant they choose their favourite players no matter how poor their form is and sometimes leave out the players they don’t like even if he’s doing quite well. So you should avoid creating your team only based upon your likings or disliking to get better results.
These are few points one should consider before playing fantasy from next time. Hope it will help you in improving your performance in fantasy cricket games.