England vs Pakistan : Overview
The series against West Indies has been completed and it is time for England to face a stronger threat. It’s a team they haven’t been able to beat since 2010, even at home which we don’t see very often. Pakistan have managed to draw their last 2 away series in England and which is why England would have to play their best cricket.
With a strong pace attack and fragile English attack, this series is expected to be more competitive than the previous one against WI. It would only be a matter of how Pakistani batsmen fare up against the class of Anderson and Broad. The series is also going to be interesting in the context of World Test championship. England with 226 points have just edged past New Zealand to sit at 3 and now they are only 70 points behind Australia. With two wins, they could go on to replace Australia at 2.
Pakistan are at 5th with 140 points and they’d hope to get at least one win under their belt to go pass New Zealand.
The 3 match Test series will be followed by 3 Tests. Here is the schedule.
- First Test : 05-09 August, Manchester
- Second Test : 13-17 August, Southampton
- Third Test : 21-25 August, Southampton
- First T20 : 28 August, Manchester
- Second T20 : 30 August, Manchester
- Third T20 : 01 September, Manchester
Where to watch in India : Sony Six/ SonyLiv app from 03:30 PM IST
England vs Pakistan statistical preview : Records on stake
- Joe Root needs 271 more runs to complete 8000 runs in Tests. He will be the 7th Englishman to achieve this feat. He also needs just 84 runs to complete 1000 runs against Pakistan.
- Joe Denly also requires 173 runs to complete 1000 runs in red ball format.
- Root needs to score one more fifty to complete half century of 50s in Tests.
- James Anderson has to take 11 more wickets for 600 wickets in Test cricket. His new ball partner Stuart Broad just entered 500 wickets club in previous series. They need 10 more wickets together to have 1100 wickets combined.
- England’s highest total against Pakistan in Test cricket is 598-9 dec. They had scored these runs in Abu Dhabi in 2015 while the lowest is 72 at the same venue in 2012.
- Stuart Broad has got 5 ducks against Pakistan, if he gets dismissed on zero again, he would have most ducks from England against Pakistan. He will also have a total of 36 ducks which means he will be placed at second in the list of most ducks in Test cricket history.
- Babar Azam needs 150 runs to get to 2000 runs in Test cricket.
- Captain Azhar Ali will become 5th Pakistani batsman to score over 6000 runs in Test cricket once he scores 81 runs.
- Wahab Riaz needs 17 wickets for 100 Test wickets. However, he is not a part of Pakistan squad for the first Test.
- Asad Shafiq needs 142 runs for his 1000 runs against England. Azhar Ali needs 201 runs for the same.
- Pakistan’s highest score in an inning against England is 708, made in 1987 while their lowest is 72 all out in 2010.
- Wicket keeper Sarfaraz Ahmed needs to affect 17 dismissals to go past Wasim Bari who had 54 dismissals against England.
ENG vs PAK Head to Head
Total matches : 83
England won : 25
Pakistan won : 21
Drawn : 37
In last 9 matches –
Pakistan : 5 wins
England : 2wins
Draws : 1
ENG vs PAK WTC Table
3. England : 226 points after playing 3 series
5. Pakistan : 140 points after playing 3 series
ENG vs PAK Squad
England : Rory Burns, Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley, Joe Root (captain), Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope, Jos Buttler (wk), Dom Bess, Jofra Archer, James Anderson, Stuart Broad , Chris Woakes , Sam Curran , Ollie Robinson
Pakistan : Azhar Ali (C), Babar Azam, Abid Ali, Asad Shafiq, Fawad Alam, Imam-ul-Haq, Kashif Bhatti, Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Rizwan, Naseem Shah, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Shaheen Afridi, Shan Masood, Sohail Khan, Yasir Shah
ENG vs PAK Probable 11
England : Rory Burns, Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley, Joe Root (captain), Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope, Jos Buttler (wk), Dom Bess, Jofra Archer, James Anderson, Stuart Broad
Pakistan : Abid Ali, Shan Masood, Azhar Ali ( captain ), Babar Azam, Asad Shafiq, Mohammad Rizwan ( wicket-Keeper), Shadab Khan, Yasir Shah, Mohammad Abbas, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Naseem Shah