Cricket is being played for a period of over 100 years. A period in which cricketers have created all sorts of records and you must be aware about a lot of those as well but did you know some of these few mind-boggling facts about your favorite players? Take a look at them and decide for yourself.
Sourav Ganguly averaged 42 in his Test career. Despite the failures in his career, his Test average never fell below 40 at any point. His lowest average was 40.42 in August 1997 when he got out on a duck against Sri Lanka.
Test Cricket was first played in 1877 but it took batsmen 21 years to hit the first six in this format. It was eventually hit on 14th January 1898 by Australian Charles Bannerman.
Sri Lanka’s Chaminda Vaas has the record of dismissing a batsman for most number of ducks in International cricket. He has dismissed both Chris Gayle and Herschelle Gibbs 7 times on zero. Gibbs has an average of 2.33 against Vaas while Gayle averages 6.50 against him.
Virat Kohli is only the second cricketer to bat, bowl and keep wickets in the same match. He held this unique feat in a match against Bangladesh in June 2015 when he had to wear gloves to keep wickets for an over when the regular wicket-keeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni had gone out of the ground. Kohli bowled 41st and 43rd overs of the game and then became a keeper in 44th over in Dhoni’s absence. India had lost that match by 79 runs with Kohli failing to do anything significant with the bat.
Tatenda Taibu of Zimbawe is the first player to do so. He did this twice in 2004, both against Sri Lanka.
- First Six in T20 International cricket was hit by Michael Clarke.
- Shahid Afridi in his entire career never faced more than 100 balls in an inning. 94 is the most number of balls faced by Afridi in an inning where he scored 124 runs.
- In 1996 world Cup India hosted 17 world cup Matches at 17 different venues.
- Dhoni’s first Test and ODI 100s came in the 5th Match of his career in both formats, both against Pakistan. He scored 148 in both of those centuries.
Zaheer Khan and Trent Boult are the only two bowlers to bowl three consecutive maidens in World Cup. Both had the identical figures of 3-3-0-1 in their first 3 Overs. Zaheer’s performance had a more significant impact on the game as it came in the 2011 World Cup final. Trent Boult bowled 3 maidens in a row in a group game against Bangladesh in 2015 World Cup.
In 2007 World Cup, Boyd Rankin while playing for Ireland dismissed England’s batsman Ed Joyce. In a match in 2013, tables got turned. Boyd Rankin dismissed Joyce once again but this time Rankin was playing for England while Joyce was batting for Ireland.
Despite being a world beater, Sachin Tendulkar could not achieve 900 rating points in ICC Test Match rankings. His highest rating point was 898 which he had achieved after a 100 against Zimbawe in 2002.
England Cricket Team is the only team in the cricket history to lose a 60 overs ICC event final(1979 World Cup), 50 overs tournament final (1992 WC) and 20 overs ICC tournament final (2013 Champions Trophy). On the contrary, India is the only team to win these 3 finals. They won the 60 Overs WC in 1983, 50 Overs World Cup in 2011 and 20 Overs World cup in 2007 along with Champions Trophy 2013 final which was cut short to 20 overs as well.
- West Indies never lost a Test series from 1980 to 1995 ,i.e, for a period of 15 years. New Zealand never won a Test series in their first 40 years of playing cricket.
- Hitesh Modi & Subhash Ranchhoddas Modi are the main father – son duo to play/direct in a One Day Internationals Cricket Match as a batsman and an umpire separately. The father declared his son out LBW in that game.
- Virat Kohli, MS Dhoni and AB De villiers are the only players who have got out on 49 in all three formats.
- Jacques Kallis has scored 45 Test 100s, only 3 of them have come in losing cause which is the lowest for anyone having more than 30 tons.
Kepler Wessels, who is a renowned commentator now has played for both Australia and South Africa but that’s a well known fact. He is the only cricketer who has never been dismissed on a duck in a career which lasted over 100 Matches. Wessels featured in 109 ODIs for both the countries.
Known as solid as a wall, Rahul Dravid holds the unwanted record of most bowled dismissals in Test cricket. He was dismissed bowled for 54 times in his career.
In 2018 WT20, Van Der Niekerk and Marizane Kapp made an unique record of becoming the first married couple to bat together in an International match. They also stitched together an important 67 runs partnership to take South Africa to victory.
India and Sri Lanka love each other a lot which is why they keep seeing each other every year. They’re the first pair to play Head to head 150 ODI games in the history.